For Immediate Release: 07/20/2010
The Health Care Authority’s Health Technology Assessment Program is currently accepting applications/nominations for the Health Technology Clinical Committee (HTCC). The HTCC helps the State of Washington ensure that health services used and paid for by state government are safe and improve health outcome for our citizens. HTCC uses an open process and relies on scientific, or evidence-based, information about safety, efficacy, and cost effectiveness to inform committee determinations about coverage and reimbursement for health technologies that are prioritized for assessment.
Authorizing legislation requires the HCA Administrator to appoint 11 committee members that include: 6 practicing physicians licensed under chapter 18.57 or 18.71 RCW; and 5 other practicing licensed health professionals who use health technology in their scope of practice. At least two members of the committee must have professional experience treating women, children, elderly persons, and people with diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds. See RCW 70.14.090.
HCA is looking for a diverse group of knowledgeable individuals willing to actively participate and make decisions based on the evidence and the best interest of the public. We currently have one available vacancy to fill and are especially interested in nurse practitioners.
Committee members cannot have a substantial financial conflict of interest, such as an interest in a health technology company, including the holding of stock options, or the receipt of honoraria or consultant moneys, and they must be willing to complete a conflict of interest disclosure form and agree to other membership requirements (e.g. confidentiality).
Key qualities that HCA seeks for the committee include:
- Active practitioners;
- Diverse membership in geographic location, gender, and ethnic and racial background;
- Knowledge of and experience with evidence-based medicine, including experience, training, or education focused on fields relevant to evidence based medicine -
- Clinical epidemiology; health economics; health services research; public health; biostatistics; medical quality management; public health system planning and evaluation; cost-effectiveness analysis; decision sciences; access to health care; clinical effectiveness; health informatics,; biometrics; or outcomes research.
Additionally, HCA seeks a range of practitioner types and specialties that use health technologies (medical and surgical devices and procedures, medical equipment, and diagnostic tests). The target categories below include some examples, but not an exhaustive list. Practitioners, depending on the services performed, can fit in more than one category.
- Diagnostic Services – such as radiology, pathology, internal medicine, emergency medicine
- Primary Care Services – such as family practice, internal medicine, nurse practitioner, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology
- Surgical Services – such as orthopedics, neurosurgery, cardiology, anesthesiology, obstetrics/gynecology, podiatry, dentistry
- Rehabilitative Services – such as rehabilitation medicine, chiropractic, prosthetics and orthotics, physical, occupational, or rehabilitative therapy,
- Additional Health Services – such as mental health, dental, chiropractic, complementary and alternative medicine (e.g. acupuncture, naturopathy), or massage therapy
The Committee is expected to meet quarterly for an all day session, though additional meetings may be necessary. Committee members will be reimbursed for travel and on an hourly basis for time in meetings. In addition, the authorizing legislation provides indemnification related to HTCC participation.
Your thoughtful consideration of this request is appreciated. If you have any questions about serving on the Committee, or have someone you wish to nominate for the committee, you can find more information on our website. Each applicant must submit a resume, an application and a signed conflict of interest to be considered for the open vacancy on the Committee.
Due Date: August 20th, 2010
Mail information to:
Health Care Authority
676 Woodland Square Loop SE
P.O. Box 42712
Olympia, WA 98504-2712
Email resume, application and signed conflict of interest form to: Shtap@hca.wa.gov